axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Damian.Phill...@dse.vic.gov.au
Subject Re: Unable to compress message with GZIP in Axis 1.4
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:05:14 GMT

Hi Cyril,

I wrote a socket listenener to serialise all incoming data on the web
service socket (with the app server turned off) and can confirm that indeed
the incoming messages were compressed by CommonsHttpSender and AXIS OOTB
compression.  So I guess AXIS has a socketlistener on the server to
intercept the incoming stub requests *before* any servlet filters can
intercept them, hence order of intercept on the server will be AXIS SOAP
Monitor (via socket listener), my servlet filter, AXIS servlet filter.??

This makes sense once you know what is going on, but for someone using AXIS
with none of this documented it has been extremely frustrating trying to
get a test compressed (serialised to file for poc purposes) output message
across to our collaborative project member hosting the stubs.  Perhaps you
could add a paragraph such as the above to the compression FAQ section on
the AXIS wiki, as I'm sure I'm not going to be the last person to try and
figure this out for the same reasons.

Cheers,
Damian

                      cyrille.leclerc@p

                      obox.com                 To:       axis-user@ws.apache.org

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      cyrille.leclerc@g        Subject:  Re: Unable to compress message with
GZIP in Axis 1.4
                      mail.com

                      14/08/2006 01:54

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      axis-user

   Hi Damian,

   Can you use a network sniffer to look at the communication from
your Axis client to your Websphere server ? I you don't, I can send
you a small Eclipse plugin that does the job.

   BTW, I don't know if Axis built in SOAP Monitor transparently
uncompress the streams (ie. figuring if compression is enabled would
be harder to figure out)

   Cyrille

axis-user@ws.apache.org
>                       Sent by:                 cc:
>                       cyrille.leclerc@g        Subject:  Re: Unable to
compress message with GZIP in Axis 1.4
>                       mail.com
>

>                       12/08/2006 11:45
>                       AM
>                       Please respond to
>                       axis-user
>

>    Hello Damian,
>
>    Did you enable http compression on your server ?
>
>    Usually, it is done in the http server layer. In Websphere world ;
> it is usually done in Ibm Http Server (aka IHS) layer with
> mod_deflate.
>
>    Here is a doc of mod_deflate :
> http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_mod_deflate
>
>    Hope this helps,
>
>    Cyrille
>
> --
> Cyrille Le Clerc
> cyrille.leclerc@pobox.com
> cyrille.leclerc@fr.ibm.com
>
> On 8/10/06, Damian.Phillips@dse.vic.gov.au
> <Damian.Phillips@dse.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to use the out of the box axis compression to send a
gzipped
> > message with using Axis 1.4 as per the instructions outlined in
> > http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/GzipCompression, however the
> > messages are being sent to the endpoint uncompressed.
> >
> > I am using Axis 1.4 with J2SE 5.0 and commons-httpclient 3.1.0 with
> eclipse
> > 3.2 and websphere 6.1 all on my local
> > dev machine.  I have set up a servlet filter to intercept and log the
> > incoming web service calls at the endpoint
> > *prior*  to the axis listener (which it does according to my
stacktrace),
> > hence prior to any decompression. The extracted
> > InputStream message is the readable (hence uncompressed) SOAP XML that
> > sent through.
> >

> > Is this a known issue of sorts,or perhaps a library version
> > interoperability problem, or am I just
> > missing something?
> >
> > Are there any known issues such as this in using Axis 1.4 with J2SE
5.0?

> > Any help would be greatly appeciated
> > Damian Phillips

Cyrille Le Clerc