axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Damian.Phill...@dse.vic.gov.au
Subject Re: Unable to compress message with GZIP in Axis 1.4
Date Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:54:52 GMT

Hi Cyril,

I may be missing something here but shouldnt the point of http compression
be to compress the message on the client *prior* to sending it over the
wire?
(je: If I have to send my message (uncompressed) over the wire to the web
server which then compresses the message and routes the compressed data to
the app server wouldnt that be redundant?).

The instructions at
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/GzipCompression outline that
setting the HTTPConstants.MC_GZIP_REQUEST property on the service instance
in the client layer in conjunction with changing the client wsdd to
specifiy using a compression-enabled http transporter such as
CommonsHTTPSender enables sending out compressed messages from the client.

I have traced through the Axis code on my local machine and can confirm
that CommonsHTTPSender is picking up on the MC_GZIP_REQUEST property and
kicks off the appropriate GZipOutputStream, however the messages are never
recieved at the endpoint in a compressed state.

I will hook up Websphere to recieve incoming endpoint calls via IHS once I
recieve the messages in a compressed state.

Has anyone else had a problem sending out compressed messages via Axis 1.4?
I have followed the instructions at the above URL, so is there something
additional that I should be doing?

Any further advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Damian

                      cyrille.leclerc@p

                      obox.com                 To:       axis-user@ws.apache.org

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      cyrille.leclerc@g        Subject:  Re: Unable to compress message with
GZIP in Axis 1.4
                      mail.com

                      12/08/2006 11:45

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      axis-user

   Hello Damian,

   Did you enable http compression on your server ?

   Usually, it is done in the http server layer. In Websphere world ;
it is usually done in Ibm Http Server (aka IHS) layer with
mod_deflate.

   Here is a doc of mod_deflate :
http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_mod_deflate

   Hope this helps,