axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Urgent Help - Newbie
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:58:17 GMT
A WSDL file is always a useful thing to have when exchanging SOAP
messages. It tells you exactly what the messages are supposed to look
like. It has nothing to do with whether or not the server is written
in Java. The reason you want the WSDL is to allow any client to talk
to the service, regardless of the type of language you want to use.

If you had a WSDL file, you could generate the Java client using
WSDL2Java. It would automatically generate a proxy that maps the XML
types to Java types, and automatically constructs/parses the incoming
and outgoing SOAP messages.

Perl is a dandy language for string manipulation, therefore it's
pretty trivial to construct and parse XML. Java is not so good at
string manipulation, so it's easier if you can convert the XML to Java
objects. But if you prefer, you can use JAXP to construct/parse the
SOAP messages programmatically. But without a WSDL, you'll have a lot
more difficulty processing the return message. (Did they give you a
sample of a return message?)

Java is a strongly typed language, therefore it really wants to know
what type of data it is receiving. The sample document--in which all
elements are null-- gives no clue regarding the types of each of the
elements. If you can't get a WSDL--or at least an XML Schema of the
message formats--I guess you can just treat them all as strings.

Anne