axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Guo, Jeffrey" <j...@tripos.com>
Subject RE: axis background thread?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:08:01 GMT
You could use MDB in a j2ee environment if you have a request/response
and the MDB should be running in the background and you could send the
response back to the client using ws-eventing.

-----Original Message-----
From: tom mccarthy [mailto:tom@lambelly.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:38 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: axis background thread?

I am trying to implement a web service which does a large number of
things. For instance, it can make on the order of 40,000 sql queries
depending on what needs to be done. Because this takes such a long time
to do, and because the user is only needed to give the information
necessary to start the thread, I'd prefer to just start a thread, send a
response to the user that this thread has been initiated, and have this
thread run long after the user has gone on their merry way.

I guess my question is, is it possible to implement a background process
like this where the process continues long after the response has been
sent back to the user, or can this only be implemented as a process
which does not give a response back to the user?

I've been looking for information on this, but really haven't found
much. Perhaps because I'm not using the right terminology. I'm quite new
to axis and web services.