axis-java-user mailing list archives

From akkachotu <akkach...@gmail.com>
Subject can a .cer file contain private key?
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:31:22 GMT
Using java 'keytool' command we generate a private key and public key
and also we can export the public key to a .cer file. Now my question
is can a .cer file contain a private key. My impression is .cer is a
public key certificate that can contain only public key but not
private key.

Someone told me that they procured a certificate from VeriSign and
they have received a .cer file from VeriSign that contains both
private key and public key. Can this be true that .cer file can
contain a private key? Please clarify?