axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2][1.0] interop with .NET
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 19:33:07 GMT
.NET 1.0 has a bug in that if the schema doesn't specify the
elementFormDefault attribute, it defaults to "qualified" (opposite of XML
Schema rules). The problem only occurs if the attribute isn't specified. (
e.g., if you specify elementFormDefault="unqualified", .NET will handle it
properly). Therefore, to interoperate with .NET, the schema must specify the
elementFormDefault attribute. Previous versions of Axis specify
elementFromDefault="qualified" by default.

I just scanned through the WS-I Basic Profile, and I found no rules or
recommendations to specify "unqualified". It does indication that the child
element of the <soap:Body> should be qualified, and it states that the child
elements of <soap:Fault> must be unqualified, but I see no recommendation
for elementFormDefault="unqualified". IMO, such a recommendation would be
inappropriate. I view it as a schema design decision.

In any case, my recommendation is that Axis2 should always generate the
elementFormDefault attribute -- whether it's qualified or unqualified.

Anne