axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Watson <wat...@evolove.net>
Subject Deploying Web services with Axis 1.3
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 01:18:28 GMT

I've been trying to figure out how to deploy services using Tomcat 5.5.12 and
Axis 1.3 but I'm having some trouble figuring it out

The user manual for 1.2 (Can't find a link to a 1.3 user manual if there is
one) has only the most very basic deployment instructions and following them
I am able to deploy a very simple Web service where all the implementation
is in the *Impl class. I'm trying to find some slightly more detailed
deployment documentation. Does anyone have a link to some?

Basically what I want to do is have some business logic in one package and
then have the Web service call that business logic. How/where do I put the
class files for these packages?

At the moment I have things set up like this:

Service is in:
\Tomcat\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\classes\au\gov\abs

Helper ('Business Logic") is in:
\Tomcat\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\classes\au\gov\abs\Helpers

But when I try and load the actual implemntation class in the helper using
class.newInstance() I get an exception (one that will not get caught despite
surrounding it in a try/catch block) thrown back to the client. So I assume
I haven't set things out correctly.

Also when using a resource bundle with a properties file, the properties
file needs to be in \Tomcat\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\classes\ to be found. Does
this mean that all services on the server need to have differently named
properties files? Do all services on the server share the helper classes?
What if I want to have different versions of the same service on the server
with different versions of classes?

Sorry if these are all basic questions, I'm still trying to get my head
around Java and Axis.

- Michael