axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ramanathan, Subramanyam" <sramanat...@c-cor.com>
Subject RE: [Axis2] Multithreaded client, performance degradation.
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 13:24:39 GMT

:-) sorry, I did jump to a conclusion. Mea culpa. I should've said *my* test with jmeter wasn't
valid :)
Beg pardon, intention was definitely not to be rude ! :)

I will try it out again now.

Thanks and Regards,
Subramanyam

-----Original Message-----
From: Davanum Srinivas [mailto:davanum@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:42 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Axis2] Multithreaded client, performance degradation.

In JMeter, Under your "SOAP/XML-RPC Request", please add a "HTTP
Header Manager" element using the right click context menu and then
select that new node in the left hand tree and you can see a panel on
the right where u can set the content-type.

You sure use strong words for everything. don't you :)

-- dims

On 5/31/06, Ramanathan, Subramanyam <sramanathan@c-cor.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the jmeter test - I don't think that jmeter is sending the requests correctly,
hence the test is not valid.
> I just chanced to look at catalina.out and found errors. Basically all the requests had
failed and returned SOAP faults. What I don't understand is why jmeter did not log them as
errors. I am attaching the error trace from catalina.out.

> Actually I had encountered this error when I was trying out my http client too. I got
this error unless I set the "content-type" in the http header to "text/xml". At that time,
I found that changing the content-type to "text/xml" works, so I just went ahead.
> Using tcpmon, I just looked at the http header of the request being sent by jmeter, and
I find that it sets "content-type" to null ! This seems to fine, again, in the case of axis1
- it does not seem to mind the content-type. But with axis2 I always observe this error unless
content-type is set to "text/xml" (Why ?)

> So, I don't think testing axis2 with jmeter is valid. I am using the latest jmeter version,
2.1.1 . Please let me know if I am supposed to use some earlier version, or if something has
to be configured/setup for jmeter. I also tried to use jmeter's http requester, but I couldnt
find a way to set content-type to "text/xml".

> Thanks and regards,
> Subramanyam

the values, I repeated the run three times for each number of threads.

> loop count 1000
> 10 threads - 241, 243, 259
> 20 threads - 237, 229, 233
> 30 threads - 233, 230, 227
> 40 threads - 227, 231, 226
>
> I don't know how exactly jmeter runs the test and calculates the throughput, and I don't
know if the overhead of the framework is levelling the figures out, because I got much larger
values for throughput, particularly for smaller number of threads.

> My client spawns n number of threads, and each of them send r requests.
> My calculation was based on startTime taken before spawning threads, endTime taken after
all the threads are done,
> and reqPerSec  = ( n * r )*1000/(time diff in millisec). Is there a problem with this
?

> I also did a test by spawning only 10 threads from a client at a time, but running the
client on multiple machines at once,
> and that gave me approximately the same figures, too.
> Also I have used exactly the same client to post to axis1.
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Subramanyam

multiple threads each sending a certain number of requests ] , the performance of Axis2 seems
to degrade, whereas that of Axis1 seems to be relatively stable when tested using the same
client.

> > Here are the figures I have got. Each thread sends 1000 requests.
> > I have measured throughput by measuring the time taken for all the threads to finish
and then calculating requests per sec.

> >                         Axis2(req/sec)          Axis1(req/sec)
> >     10 threads  - 1105.530784                   545.9761944
> >     20 threads  - 635.3480599               556.6025772
> >     30 threads  - 411.2374179             550.5108726
> >     40 threads  - 215.8165598             570.8683581
> >

> > Apparently, as the number of threads increases, the performance drops in Axis2 whereas
it remains reasonably stable in Axis1.
> > Can someone tell me the reason for this, and is there any way the performance with
multiple threads in Axis2 can be made better / stabilized ?