A namespace URI does *not* need to be resolvable. A namespace URI is simply a name. Also, if you change the URI for the "soap" namespace to a local file URL, (e.g., change xmlns:soap=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/" to "xmlns:soap=file://fu/bar/fubar/") The WSDL parser will not recognize the SOAP extensibility elements, and the WSDL won't parse properly. The only URIs that must resolve to an actual URL are those used to locate Schema or WSDL files (the location and schemaLocation attributes) in <wsdl:import>, <xsd:import> and <xsd:include> statements.