axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Oltz <>
Subject Erroneously requiring DOCTYPE?
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:08:56 GMT

Let me rephrase my question. I am using Axis 1.3 with Xerces 2.7.1.
I am writing a SOAP client. I get an error when Axis begins to try
to deserialize the result of a SOAP operation.

SAXParseException: White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLScanner.scanExternalID(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.scanDoctypeDecl(Unknown
	at org.apache.axis.SOAPPart.getAsSOAPEnvelope(
	at org.apache.axis.Message.getSOAPEnvelope(

What this means is it is expecting there to be a DOCTYPE header in the
SOAP envelope, but there isn't one. I was told on this list that there is
not supposed to be a DOCTYPE header in a SOAP envelope. So why is this
code looking for one, and how can I stop it looking for one? I tried
altering org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContext.parse().
As the first line after the first try {  I put this:

But I thought that was the default. And the error still happened

Should I also turn off this Xerces-specific feature? Will that
make it not look for a DOCTYPE?

Michael Oltz

View raw message