I mean that the WSDLs for many of these services aren't valid.

xmethods doesn't provide a toolkit -- it just provides a place for people to post their services -- it's up to the folks that post their service to make sure that they are valid. Many are not.

If the WSDL isn't valid, wsdl2java is likely to barf on it.