axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "James Clinton" <James.Clin...@ins-sure.com>
Subject RE: wsdl2java or java2wsdl
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:05:24 GMT
Thanks Mark.

I not just talking about Axis specific services.

I'm interested to here more about your interop problems you have
experienced.  Are you certain these occurred because the WSDL was
generated, also was this using Axis' java2wsdl or some other SOAP
servers tools?

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Griffin, Mark [mailto:Mark.Griffin@pgnmail.com]
Sent: 24 February 2006 13:25
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: RE: wsdl2java or java2wsdl

	James, are you talking about a specific to Axis question about
why you would design your interface prior to writing the implementation
or are your talking about a more general best practice when it comes to
web services?

	I'm not sure if there is any technical advantage that is
particular to Axis that would lead you down one path or the other.  But
from an overall design best practice (there aren't a lot when it comes
to web services in my opinion) when developing interfaces, I think it is
generally best to start with your XML schemas first and then move into a
modular WSDL approach.  The goal is to have a more robust extensible
interface that is going to be more interoperable with other
technologies.  There are some resources on this subject in particular
talking about interoperability issues ie which types have issues on
which platforms, the various levels of support for the basic profile and
all of the ws-* standards.  This practice also takes the platform out of
the picture and focuses more on the service being provided.  Hopefully
leading you down the path to a more abstract interface.

	Designing the classes first might mask some problems that will
crop up later with other platforms even though Axis might not have an
issue with it.  I have personally run into interoperability issues with
a lot of the major platforms out there when generating wsdl from
existing interfaces.  Of course if you have no goals for
interoperability with other platforms and you don't care about abstract
and loosely coupled interfaces then it probably doesn't matter and you
probably don't need to be using web services to begin with. :)  Just my
two cents.

	markg
	Mark E. Griffin
	Developer Services