axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Azeltine <jazelt...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Deploying a web service
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:33:02 GMT
I am somewhat of a noob myself, but I am starting to "get it". You need to look for "embedded+axis"
when you are searching. I found a couple of references for you:
  http://cephas.net/blog/2005/09/13/update_to_embedded_axis_application_in_tomcat.html

  Here is the install guide on it:
  http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/install.html#AdvancedInstallationAddingAxisToYourOwnWebapp
  I think this line is pertinent for you:
  Run the Axis AdminClient against your own webapp, instead of Axis, by changing the URL you
invoke it with.

  I am just curious, why do you need to add axis to your app instead of the opposite?

  Jim

Jay Burgess <lists@vtgroup.com> wrote:
  I must be missing something obvious, but even after checking the list archives,
etc., I still can't seem to get this to work. Here's my situation:

I have an existing webapp being deployed to Tomcat 5.0.19 as a .WAR. I'm trying
to add a test web service to it (the Math sample delivered with Axis 1.3). At
this point, I've done the following:

(1) Added the Axis servlet to my app's web.xml:

AxisServlet
Apache-Axis Servlet
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet

(2) Mapped web service requests to the servlet:

AxisServlet
/wsapi/*

(3) Updated my build.xml to use and to
generate what I think are all the correct files into my .WAR: Add.class,
Add.java, Add.wsdl, AddService.java, AddServiceLocator.java,
AddSoapBindingImpl.java, AddSoapBindingStub.java, deploy.wsdd, undeploy.wsdd.

(4) Included all the required .JARs in Tomcat/common/lib and my webapp's
WEB-INF/lib directory.

The AxisServlet seems to be running, but when I try to hit
"http://localhost/mywebapp/wsapi/Add", I get back:

AXIS error
No service is available at this URL

I feel like my webapp hasn't really "deployed" the web service, but I'm not sure
what I need to to to make that happen automatically as part of my webapp's Ant
build/deploy process.

Do I still need to include the AdminServlet somehow? Obviously, my goal is to
put as little of Axis in my webapp as possible, and I thought I got that by
simply including the .JARs, but not happyaxis.jsp, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jay