axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roger's Rules for Web Services
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:24:59 GMT
I think it depends on how far reaching you need the services to be.

If you are a company like eBay or Amazon that wants mass consumers to
consume the service, you should [currently] avoid all soap headers -- even
WS-Security. That's because lots of SOAP implementations for scripting
languages don't support WS-Security.

If you are building services that will be consumed by partners or
professional consumers, I think it's quite reasonable to use widely
implemented standard soap headers -- which today means WS-Security. But you
should generally avoid other headers, including pre-standard soap headers
(WS-Addressing, WS-RM, etc), and home-grown non-standard soap headers. But
you should always let your application requirements dictate your decisions.
Depending on the circumstances and the nature of the relationships with the
consumers, it might be more reasonable to use a pre-standard or home-grown
soap header than putting infrastructure info in the soap body. In general,
it's better to use pre-standard headers than home-grown headers.

If you are building services that will be used internally where you have
control over both sides of the conversation, then you definitely should use
WS-Security, and it's better to put infrastructure info into headers than in
the soap body.

Anne