axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Ron Reynolds <...@RonReynolds.com>
Subject Re: Authenticating users
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:54:24 GMT
by "Web Services are made out of Session EJBs" you mean you have Session
EJBs that expose a SOAP-over-HTTP interface?  WSS4J uses 2 handlers, one
client-side and one server-side (WSDoAllSender (client) and
WSDoAllReceiver (server)) which plug into the handler chain supported by
Axis to "intercept" the request on its way to the server.  WSDoAllSender
adds a WSSecurity header to the SOAP message on send (configured using a
properties file).  WSDoAllReceiver then processes the incoming message,
validates whatever it's configured to validate and then passes the
request on to your handlers/service (or rejects the message if it does
not validate properly).  to add UsernameTokens to a request and process
them on the server requires a CallbackHandler on the client side which
can provide the password for a user.  this is then processed into a
UsernameToken, included in the SOAP header, and on the server side
you'll need another CallbackHandler which can provide the password for
the user (pulled from LDAP) which WSS4J will compare to what's provided
in the UsernameToken and thus authenicate the message before your
service (however it's implemented) ever gets called.  it's quite
transparent for the most part.  it also inserts a few entries in the
MessageContext so you can later determine what kind of authenication has
been done.

hth.