axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dustin Henson" <dhen...@sddpc.org>
Subject Reverse DNS Lookup of an IP Address?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:28:38 GMT
Has anyone run into AXIS doing a reverse DNS lookup of an IP address?

My network has a dedicated line connecting it to a private network for which we don't have
DNS entries. When I use an IP address to call a web service they provide I get about a 20
second lag. We finally put a packet sniffer on the line to track it down. It appears that
AXIS is attempting to do a DNS lookup, probably a reverse DNS lookup, before communicating
with the service. Adding an entry in the Host file for the IP address solves the problem.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Why AXIS would need to do a reverse DNS lookup on an
IP address, if that's what it is doing? I don't see anything in the AXIS docs on it.

Thanks,
Dustin