axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jay Glanville" <Jay.Glanvi...@naturalconvergence.com>
Subject WS-I standards compliance and arrays
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:36:14 GMT
[time for me to show off my lack of knowledge again ... ;-]

I have a web service using Axis 1.3.  I allow axis to generate my WSDL
file for me.  However, I don't think that the resulting WSDL file is
WS-I compliant.  Can I get some help from this community to determine if
this is the case?

I've configured Axis to use RPC and document/literal-wrapped stiles, and
I think there are problems with both.

Now, according to the 1.1 version of the WS-I basic profile, section
5.2.3
(http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.0-2004-04-16.html#refinemen
t16556272):
  R2110 - In a DESCRIPTION, array declarations
          MUST NOT extend or restrict the soapenc:Array
          type.
  R2111 - In a DESCRIPTION, array declarations
          MUST NOT use wsdl:arrayType attribute in the
          type declaration.
  R2112 - In a DESCRIPTION, array declaration
          wrapper elements SHOULD NOT be named using
          the convention ArrayOfXXX.
  R2113 - A MESSAGE containing serialized arrays
          MUST NOT include the soapenc:arrayType
          attribute.
(note, in the above, DESCRIPTION does not refer to the
<wsdl:description> tag as I originally thought (silly me), but instead
to the wsdl and other areas).

So, if I use RPC encoding, Axis generates the following WSDL snippet:
 <complexType name="ArrayOf_xsd_int">
  <complexContent>
   <restriction base="soapenc:Array">
    <attribute ref="soapenc:arrayType" wsdl:arrayType="xsd:int[]"/>
   </restriction>
  </complexContent>
 </complexType>
Here, this fails:
- R2110 (restricting on soapenc:Array)
- R2111 (must not use wsdl:arrayType)
- R2112 (should not use name "ArrayOfXXX")

Now, if I use document/literal-wrapped, then Axis generates the
following WSDL snippet:
 <complexType name="ArrayOf_xsd_int">
  <sequence>
   <element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="item"
type="xsd:int"/>
  </sequence>
 </complexType>
Here, this fails:
- R2112 (should not use name "ArrayOfXXX")
Note though, this failure is minor in comparison to the RPC failures.

In my interpretation of this information correct?  Do both RPC and
document/wrapped both have problems with WS-I compliance?  Is there
something that I can do configuration-wise to ensure compliance?

JDG

---
Jay Dickon Glanville