axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Operation overloading
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:26:29 GMT
Overloaded operations are permitted in SOAP 1.1, but they've been
outlawed in SOAP 1.2. And even in SOAP 1.1, the spec doesn't explain
how to make overloaded operations work, therefore they often don't.
And it definitely causes interop problems.

SOAP uses a much simpler mechanism than Java to identify the signature
of a message. In SOAP, the signature is defined only by the QName of
the child element of the <soap:Body> element. Hence SOAP cannot
distinguish between two signatures that have the same method name.

Anne