axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jarmo Doc" <jar...@hotmail.com>
Subject Explicit response required from WS methods?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:38:39 GMT
Let's say that I have a WS method like so:

  deleteEmployee(int empid) throws SOAPException
  {
  }

Is it sensible for this method to have a void return type or should it
always return something, for example the empid just deleted (for client
correlation purposes, amongst other things)?

I ask because it's not clear to me what's going on under the covers.  I
could imagine, for example, that void would be OK because any kind of
problem explicitly detected by the web service method would throw a
SOAPException and any kind of network issue (e.g. request not even making it
to the web service) or a failure of the service to execute the method might
cause the underlying infrastructure itself to throw a SOAPException
(because, for example, HTTP 200 OK was never seen by the client).  So the
absence of a SOAPException might reasonably imply success and hence no
return type was required.

Thanks.