axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Magnus Karlsson <magnus.m.karls...@spray.se>
Subject Long response times when using IP-adress in endpoint string
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:07:20 GMT
Hi,

I got a strange behaviour of my client to web service communication.
I've made just an "echo"-service running in application mode that
returns the string that it was called with (i.e public String echo (
String echoString ) { return echoString; }.

I call the method from the (fat) client using something like this:

        String endpoint = "http://localhost:/axis/services/echo";

        Service  service = new Service();
        Call     call    = (Call) service.createCall();

        call.setTargetEndpointAddress( new java.net.URL(endpoint) );
        call.setOperationName( "echo" ));

        String ret = (String) call.invoke( new Object[] { "Hello!" } );

        System.out.println("Sent 'Hello!', got '" + ret + "'");

When I use "localhost" (127.0.0.1 does also work fine) in the the endpoint string everything
is tremendously fast,
but when I use the IP adress of the machine "http://192.168.0.2:/axis/services/echo" the response
time about 7-9 seconds!

What could be the reason for this increase?

I am running Axis on Tomcat 5.5 in Fedora core 4 with firewall switched off. Maybe Axis is
recognising that
the request/response does not need to be sent on the network, or maybe Linux does it.

Any clues or ideas are more than welcome.

Regards,
Magnus