axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: web service error handling design issue
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:47:32 GMT

>programmers no longer need to worry about performance. In fact, we stopped
>worrying about performance once we abandoned C++ for Java!

Speak for yourself...   Maybe you work in a world where the datasets are
small, and hardware budgets grow quickly....

I remember digging into a third party package that we were using - they
had recently ported from c to java, and the performance of the new
version sucked on certain operations.  Examination of the code revealed
that there was one method that got its result by opening a random file
reader on a 200K file, and finding the appropriate bits.  The algorithm
called this method several hundred times per operation.  A simple change
to a hashtable based approach with a one-time read of the file resulted
in an operation that ran about 1000 times faster.  Multiple that by the
500,000,000 times I needed to call that method, and we start talking
years instead of hours to process the same data....

Dan