axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sam Amarteifio" <Sam.Amartei...@ec3.com>
Subject Returning a SOAP Fault
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 09:26:04 GMT

We are currently in the testing phase of a document style web services
application. The application is required to return a soap fault when
certain conditions are not met e.g. failure on XML schema validation of
attached XML document. What we currently do in a fault situation is that
we throw an AxisFault, setting the fault code, fault string etc.
What we expected was the Fault element would be returned in the body of
the SOAP response message. This is not the case, there is no SOAP
response message when a fault occurs, we can only get access to the
fault code, fault string etc. set in the web services at point of
failure by catching the exception on the client and extracting the
relevant fields.
Is there anyway of sending back the fault element in the body of the
SOAP response message, without your client crashing out with an
exception that you would have to trap?

Regards,
SAM AMARTEIFIO
amarteifios@ec3.com
+44 (0)20 7780 5955

ec3 solutions /
1st floor 9-13 fenchurch buildings
london ec3m 5hr /
+44 (0)20 7780 5955 /
http://www.ec3.com /

Confidentiality Notice

This communication is strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance of it and destroy this email. Please immediately
notify the sender or contact EC3 on telephone +44 (0)845 330 4396 or email 'support@ec3.com'.
The views represented in this email are not necessarily those of EC3.