axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RPC/Encoded and Java<->XML Data Binding
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:33:37 GMT
Also -- from my perspective, there are absolutely no advantages of
using SOAP encoding over literal encoding. That's of course working on
the assumption that the reason you are using SOAP is to enable
heterogeneous interoperability.

If you want to use SOAP in place of a homogeneous distributed object
system like RMI, then there might be some small advantage in using
SOAP encoding when passing rich object graphs. But if you want to do
homogeneous distributed object computing, then you should use RMI, not
SOAP.

All performance tests I've seen show that RPC/encoded is slower than
RPC/literal or doc/literal. And a huge number of interop problems are
caused by SOAP encoding.

I'm sure that Glen Daniels has a different opinion, though.

Anne