axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tim K. (Gmane)" <tkgmane...@ugcs.net>
Subject Re: possible ways of creating WSDL file
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:55:38 GMT
In an ideal world I would agree with Anne. However, consider this
scenario: you have a team of 10+ developers working on a server side API
that follows the rules to allow it to be easily exposed as web services.
The API has over 200+ methods total, distributed over 20+ modules. Each
module would be exposed as a web service, hence 20+ WSDL files. The goal
is to have the API on the server side look exactly the same as the API
on the client side, so in theory an application built against the API
could be run in process on the server or remotely via web services.

Now, only a couple of these developers know anything about web services
and even those developers are just getting their feet wet with web services.

During the development cycle the API's can (slightly) change many times
a day and everything needs to be recompiled/regenerated. I think it's
unreasonable in this case to edit any generated WSDL files by hand. It's
much more reasonable to just fire an ant task that starts with the
server side java classes, generates the WSDL's and from those the client
side stubs. This improves the development process a lot.

I hope I'll live to see the day when the tools are good enough to
achieve this task end to end. Obviously we are not there yet, but we are
getting close.

Btw, this is not an imaginary scenario, it's the cruel reality I live in
every day.

Tim