axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <atma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2: RPC -> Message advantages
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:03:55 GMT
Eugene,

You should not assume that document/literal means you have to do "raw
XML processing". Most SOAP implementations support automatic
marshaling of SOAP messages and automatic transformation of XML into
Java objects when using document/literal.

It helps to understand some history. When SOAP 1.1 was first developed
(circa 1999/2000), XML Schema was not yet finalized, so the SOAP spec
authors had to define their own typing scheme: SOAP encoding. Now that
the XML Schema data typing system is fully specified, SOAP
encodingreally isn't necessary any more. Meanwhile, the web services
community has been moving steadily aware from rpc/encoded style
services to document/literal style services because rpc/encoded wasn't
sufficiently specified,and therefore it caused many interoperability
issues.

One of the primary goals of Axis 1.2 has been to implement much better
support for document/literal and the XML Schema type system -- which
also ensures compliance with the WS-I Basic Profile. If your goal is
to enable rpc-style interoperability between heterogeneous systems,
then you should be using document/literal with the wrapped programming
style. (it simulates rpc). Axis 2 is building on the XML Schema work
done for Axis 1.2 and will also support more complex interaction
styles, which requires support of asynchronous service invocations.

But -- you should not assume that SOAP works like a remote object
facility (like RMI). SOAP does not support remote references. It does
not manage remote objects for you, and that is not its intention. SOAP
is fundamentally a message exchange system -- not a distributed object
system. If you want heterogeneous distributed objects, then I suggest
you use CORBA.

- Anne

- Anne

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:38:19 +0300, Eugene Prokopiev
<prokopiev@stc.donpac.ru> wrote:
> > I am not much sure about what you mean; anyway I will try
>
> Sorry for my english ;)
> I try to know about SOAP and Axis evolution and about reasons of it

towards >>more document-oriented, message style asynchronous service interactions.