axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sharam Fouladgar-Mercer" <Sharam.Foulad...@appiancorp.com>
Subject RE: Re: Which Style of WSDL should I use
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:52:07 GMT
Hopefully this answers both of your questions, as I'm sure Anne is tired
of discussing interop :)

Interoperability specs basically eliminate the use of RPC/encoded as an
option, and say you should use document/literal. Now .NET adds the
wrapped option, so you need document/literal wrapped for your WSDL
encoding style/use. Document/literal is not Axis specific, as other
tools can use it as well. The wrapped option allows you to have your
RPC-like web services where you exposed your methods that the client can
call in a manner that is easy for the programmer. Aka, it acts as if you
are calling a local function. However, if you use document/literal (not
wrapped), then you basically have to call the function as an object, and
unwrapped its insides...its more of a pain for the programmer.
The upcoming WS-I specs are leaning towards completely disallowing
overloaded methods and the such, so methodA1, methodA2, etc. may be the
way around it for operability's sake.
For using document/literal wrapped there is an option in the Java2WSDL
that specifies that style/use of encoding. But you should always
remember to modify your wsdl by hand after the Java2WSDL tool is done.

-Sharam

Sharam Fouladgar-Mercer
Appian Corporation
www.appiancorp.com