axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dino Chiesa" <din...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Axis, .Net and return types
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:55:31 GMT
If you have the WSDL then you can run WSDL2Java , and generate
 - a client-side AXIS proxy class that enables an RPC-like programming
model
 - Java classes that correspond to the WSDL/XSD types (DTO's?)

In your java app, you will then do:

  ReturnType ret= proxy.Method1(param1, param2);

The param1 and param2, whatever types they are, get automagically
serialized into XML and sent over the wire.  Upon return, the returned
XML automagically gets de-serialized into an instance of ReturnType
(whatever it is).  You can then party on the JavaBean:

  ret.getProperty1();
  //etc

If you want to use the messaging metaphor, and really just get a DOM,
then morph the WSDL to return an xsd:any , and I believe the AXIS
WSDL2Java will generate for you a method that returns a DOM (or Element
or Node or something similar).

None of this is particular to .NET.  This is just how AXIS exploits
WSDL.

-D