axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tardif, Sebastien" <STAR...@anacomp.com>
Subject RE: Best way to send attachments
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:44:09 GMT
You have to differentiate between the representations made in a specific language of the attachment
than the way the attachment is sent. By playing with some flag you can see an attachment in
Java as a DataHandler, a byte[], or Image or many others. However they can all be transfered
in the same way and the other end of the communication can use a different representation.

In Axis you can send the attachment using:
*	SwA
*	DIME
*	xsd:base64Binary

The other end has to understand those Web Services standard. For example .NET doesn't know
about SwA. All implementation know about xsd:base64Binary.

If your attachment are big you don't want or cannot use xsd:base64Binary because it doesn't
stream well and takes 33% more bandwidth than SwA or DIME.

-----Original Message-----
From: Praveen Peddi [mailto:ppeddi@contextmedia.com]
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 11:43 AM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Best way to send attachments

Hi team,
I did lot of research on Axis attachments but I am still not able to figure out the best way
to send attachments. We currently use DataHandler which works fine with Java clients. But
The requirement is to support non-java clients also. And I read that DataHandler does nto
work with non-Java clients.

Can anyone clearly explain how to implement attachments using Axis server so that it can work
with non-java clients. If you have a working sample, that would be really great!

Thanks
Praveen

Praveen Peddi
Sr Software Engg, Context Media, Inc.
email:ppeddi@contextmedia.com
Tel:  401.854.3475
Fax:  401.861.3596
web: http://www.contextmedia.com
Context Media- "The Leader in Enterprise Content Integration"