axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hamilton, Ian [IT]" <ian.hamil...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: Sending binary data as byte array
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:43:41 GMT
Steve,

Check out this article:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-tip-noattach.html
it gives some insight into what you ask.

I also know that sending binary data as a byte array increases the data's size by about 33%,
according to what I've read.  That's because of the base64 encoding that goes on.

I did the same sort of thing in a web service I wrote recently.  I looked into SOAP with Attachments,
and I looked into sending DIME attachments.  From what I read, .NET doesn't support S/wA,
and DIME isn't a "real" standard.  That's why I went with the byte[] solution in my case.

-Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Brammer, Steve [mailto:steve.brammer@capgemini.com]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 12:33 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Sending binary data as byte array

Hi,

I have implemented a web service using axis and I consume the web service from .Net. I have
a need to send and receive binary data (office documents) but I haven't been able to work
out how to use DIME attachements, so I have worked around this by simply turning the filestream
into a byte array and handling this inside the complex types I already pass back and forth.
The solution works great and also seems pretty fast, although I have not tried it for really
massive documents yet. Can anyone tell me this disadvantages of doing this (if there are any).
This seems much easier than implementing attachments and it also gets around any interop issues
as I am just passing the binary content as a simple type (byte[]). What is the downside, if
any, and are there any 'gotchas' I am going to get caught out by??

/Steve

Steve Brammer | Capgemini | Västerås
IT Consultant | Technology Services | Portals & Mobility
Tel: +46 8 5368 6204 | Mobile: +46 70 2438544
Fax: +46 21 127635 | www.capgemini.com
Ingenjör Bååths Gata, SE-721 83, Västerås, Sweden

Join the Collaborative Business Experience