axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Sebastien.B...@alcatel.be
Subject Re: axis performance in multithreading env
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:14:14 GMT
The benchmark I ran does not require any client or server, and focuses
purely on serialization and deserialization without unnecessary overhead
(network, server, ...). What I used extensively are the
DeserializationContext and SerializationContext classes and applied
respectively their parse() and serialize() methods directly to the
classes generated by wsdl2java. So mostly pure performance of bean and
array serializers and deserializers have been measured in the benchmark.

Multithreading has been implemented using a thread that is doing
repeatedly serialization and deserialization, as explained above, of a
WSDL generated object/class, a number of times (1000), in a while loop.
The benchmark time is the lapse of time between the time I start
concurrentltly those threads in a pool of say 5, 10 or 15 threads, and
the time I wait for all of those threads to be finished.

If you look at how the patch modifies XMLUtils.java, it is very strange
that you do not see much difference in your benchmark. The need for
synchronized blocks in getDocumentBuilder() and releaseDocumentBuilder()
has been removed, and those methods are called *each time* a new XML
node is created via newDocument() when a SOAP envelope is parsed, so
many, many times. You'll see that if you run a profiler on the code.

In your benchmark, it is your server that is the bottleneck, so you must
make sure that your server:
1) is upgraded with the axis library built with the patch.
2) is stressed enough by your client so that it must run multiple
threads concurrently to serve the client requests.

To make sure you are running with the patched code, you can build the
axis library yourself (this is peanuts with the ant build task).

Sebastien