axis-java-user mailing list archives

From tony.q.wed...@gsk.com
Subject Re: Best Practice
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:09:29 GMT
Thanks, Nikki.

We have a standard of complying to Basic Profile 1.0, for interoperability
but, on top of that, I'm looking for generally accepted good ways of doing
stuff during development of web services servers and clients. Beyond BP 1,
are there useful ways to structure WSDL and type definitions, are there
any deployment tips, are there any patterns for common problems in web
services, tips on building and testing, and so on. I've seen this sort of
stuff for languages and technologies in the past and, no doubt, best
practices will emerge on web services, in the future. Quite a good, thin,
book of Java is "Java with Style" (or some such title). It would be nice
to have something like that for web services, but, until then, if anyone
has produced anything in this vein, that would be great.

Thanks for the links. I was aware of them but don't think they have
anything specific on best practice, though some of the information might
prove useful for a best practices guide.

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony

Not sure what you're after in particular,

For W3C's efforts in this area see links from http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/
For OASIS efforts see  http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php

For Axis there is the userguide, this list & if you search the archives of

this list for "books" you may find other helpful references.

HTH
Nikki

--On Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:41:41 +0000 tony.q.weddle@gsk.com
wrote:

> Does no one have, or have knowledge of, any best practice in the web
> service arena?
>
> I'm looking for a set of hints and tips, rather than a 800 page book.
>
> Tony
>

> Does anyone know of a published set of best practices, both for web
> services in general and Axis in particular?
>
> I've scoured the Net and found a few bits and pieces, but I'm looking
for
> something more substantial (though not *too* substantial).
>
> Tony

NJ Rogers, Technical Researcher
(Semantic Web Applications Developer)
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
Email:nikki.rogers@bristol.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)117 9287096 (Direct)
Tel: +44(0)117 9287193 (Office)