axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: namespaces
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:59:37 GMT
A qname (qualified name) is a name that consists of a namespace prefix (the
characters before the colon) and a local name (the characters after the
colon). For example, in the qname "wsdl:portType", "wsdl" is the namespace
prefix, and "portType" is the local name. A namespace prefix is an
abbreviation for the actual namespace. The prefix must be defined in a
namespace declaration, such as
xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/".

Hence the true name for wsdl:portType is
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/}portType.

The purpose of a namespace is to distinguish one XML element from other
elements with the same local name. (You shouldn't give two elements within
the same namespace the same name.)

A namespace is typically created when defining an XML Schema or WSDL
document. For example, a WSDL document starts with:

<wsdl:definitions name="exampleWsdl" targetNamespace="urn:exampleWsdl"
... >

All elements defined within this WSDL document will then belong to the
"urn:exampleWsdl" namespace.

For documentation about the WSDD file, I suggest you check out
http://www.osmoticweb.com/axis-wsdd/.

Here's an example of the beanMapping declaration from the osmoticweb site:

<beanMapping xmlns:ns="http://soapinterop.org/xsd"
                 qname="ns:ArrayOfString"
                 type="java:java.lang.String[]"
/>

What you're trying to do here is tell Axis how to map an XML structure to a
Java language type. The qname you specify here identifies the XML structure
that you're trying to map. In this example, The xmlns:ns declaration defines
the namespace that contains the "ArrayOfString" type definition.

If you have defined an XML type in a schema file, then you need to specify
that type here, and your namespace declaration must reference the
targetNamespace of your schema file. For example:

<beanMapping xmlns:ns1="urn:MyNamespace"
                 qname="ns1:MyStringArray"
                 type="java:java.lang.String[]"
/>

Anne