axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: Axis vs JWSDP 1.4
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:45:26 GMT
Derek,

Be aware that Sun requires a redistribution license for the JAX-RPC RI if
you intend to redistribute the code. It's not true open source.

Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Richardson [mailto:Derek.Richardson@appiancorp.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 4:00 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: RE: Axis vs JWSDP 1.4

Sun says their RI is production-ready:

http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxrpc/overview.html:
Sun provides a product-quality reference implementation of JAX-RPC that
is bundled as part of the Java Web Services Developer Pack (Java WSDP).
This reference implementation will also be available as part of the J2EE
platform reference implementation.

Java.net, which hosts the source project, says this:

https://jax-rpc.dev.java.net/:
The goal of the JAX-RPC project is to provide the Reference
Implementation of JAX-RPC, the Java APIs for XML based RPC. The JAX-RPC
specification is developed through the Java Community Process following
the process described at jcp.org. This process involves an Expert Group
with a lead that is responsible for delivering the specification, a
reference implementation (RI) and a test compatibility kit (TCK). The
primary goal of an RI is to support the development of the specification
and to validate it. Specific RIs can have additional goals; the JAX-RPC
RI is a production-quality implementation that is used directly in a
number of products by Sun and other vendors. To emphasize the quality of
the implementation we sometimes call it a Standard Implementation.