axis-java-user mailing list archives

From tony.q.wed...@gsk.com
Subject Re: JNDI in Axis
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:51:10 GMT
Chris,

I'm still new to this myself but here's my take on it. Axis provides a
servlet, which is deployed in an application, through which all HTTP
request for a service go. From Tomcat's (or any other application
server's) point of view, it's just another web application. If you have
configuration for an old application, containing servlets that you are
converting to Axis services, then that configuration needs to be
duplicated in the Axis web application. You probably shouldn't be using
absolute paths but paths relative to the application context.

So, Axis is just a servlet. Your services are just part of the servlet, as
far as Tomcat is concerned.

I don't think Axis needs to provide any direct support for the
technologies that Tomcat supports. With JNDI, for example, Axis isn't
another layer, it's a normal servlet. It's a while since I used JNDI with
a servlet but I seem to remember that I didn't have to do anything
special, once I'd defined the JNDI entries in Tomcat's configuration for
the application (probably in server.xml). Maybe you need to use the
servlet context (retrieved from the current message context) in some way,
but I'm not sure even that is necessary, just get the initial context and
off you go; it shouldn't be any different to how it was done in the
original servlet.

Of course, all of the above may be garbage, in which case, I hope someone
corrects me. But I think it's a reasonable view of the situation.

By the way, it's always best to include more information, rather than
less. Some of your questions seem to assume that everyone knows a lot
about your individual application and set up. Try and be more explicit and
include relevant bits of code or configuration files. For example, saying
that you've "copied the paths", is not very informative; it would be
helped by including the actual section of server.xml that you are
referring to.

Tony

Does axis even support JNDI?  If so, how?  I've defined the info in my
server.xml and web.xml files, but my web service still can't find the db.

Chris