axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Nelson Minar <nel...@monkey.org>
Subject RE: Adding SOAP header to SOAP Faults
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:41:04 GMT
>I suggest you file an enhancement request.
>There ought to be a fault handler chain.

I have some experience doing fairly complex things with faults and
Axis Handlers' onFault() methods. It works, but it's pretty awkward. I
understand JAX-RPC 2.0 is changing the rules in this area; does Axis
already implement the new behaviour?

The big issue with Axis I found is that if you have several Handlers
in the chain and one of the Handlers throws a fault (say, for
authentication) then no more Handlers are invoked, but onFault() is
called in the reverse order on the Handlers that were already invoked.
This makes perfect sense if you think the purpose of onFault() is to
clean up resources, but it's more awkward if you're just trying to do
something with the fault. You end up having to be very careful about
the order you register things.

The other complicated factor is what happens if the Handlers
themselves throw an Exception (as opposed to the service at the
pivot). I believe in some circumstances Axis gives up on the Handler
chain at all.