axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Roy, Anthony" <Anthony....@bl.uk>
Subject RE: WSDD and WSDL
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:08:18 GMT
I am fairly new to axis and WSDL/WSDD, but there seems to me two ways to go
about setting up a web service with the three technologies axis, WSDL and
WSDD:

1) Create the Java classes to act as your web service. Create a WSDD to
deploy the classes as a web service on Axis. Use Java2WSDL or the axis
application manager to generate the WSDL file. Use the WSDL file to generate
client stubs to do the bulk of the work involved in calling the web service.

2) Create a WSDL file describing what you want your web service to do. Use
WSDL2Java to generate the Client stubs, the Service skeleton and the WSDD
files for deploying and undeploying the application. Pad out the skeleton
and stubs to make it do what you want.

Pro's and con's of the approaches? From what I have seen so far, the former
is good if you already have a web service that just needs deploying, since
WSDD files are pretty easy to write, and your java classes are already
created. You can automatically generate the WSDL in order to provide a way
of easily generating clients for the service. This is also the easiest way
if you have no experience of WSDL, as you can use the generated WSDL as a
template for future applications using the second method.

The latter is probably the better approach if you do not already have a web
service in place, but you have a good idea of what you want the service to
look like. You then build up a single WSDL file which can then do most of
the work for you, and provides a single point of maintenance (well, more
than that really, since you need to maintain the skeleton override class
that does the actual work).

HTH.

--
Anthony Roy.