axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Baiss Eric Magnusson <ba...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Get past Axis logging problem
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:12:21 GMT
Hello Joe,

Thanks for your suggestion, it is a valid debugging step.
I did as you suggested and got the correct result below, I believe the
<!> is there because I had embedded the <log4j.properties> into
<axis.jar> based upon an earlier suggestion. The error remains the same
as before.

> URL url =
> this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("log4j.properties");

	url->  jar:file:/Library/Java/Extensions/axis.jar!/log4j.properties

All the files are in the same correct directory, they all have the same
permissions
	-rw-r--r--
They are in group <Admin>.
The parts of Axis I have are identical on both my development machine,
where Axis runs correctly; and the server, where it doesn't.

On Jul 11, 2004, at 8:27 PM, Joe Nall wrote:

>> I get a NoClassDefError on the following line
>>      private static Log log =
>> LogFactory.getLog(BasicHandler.class.getName() );
>> of BasicHandler.java:43
>
>> I have determined that Axis will not read <log4j.properties> on my
>> server no matter where I put the file, nor does it say it is failing
>> read it, but maybe that's by design.
>
> Are you sure you don't have a permission problem on log4j-1.2.8.jar?
> commons-logging.jar?
> The directory it is in?
> Where did you put the jar files?
> What user is axis running under?

> What container are you running in (Tomcat/JBoss/...)? Where is it
> installed?

I don't know how to answer the container question, from <Server
Settings> I simply click the checkbox
<Start Web Service> and no error messages appear.

> If you are sure all of that is correct - print the classpath at
> runtime from the code and check again.
>
> Does something like this find log4j.properties in your runtime
> environment?
> URL url =
> this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("log4j.properties");
>
> Google for JWihch.java and use the guts to search for LogFactory in
> your runtime class path
>
> I don't think your error has anything to do with log4j.properties, Java
> version or operating sytem - it looks like you are missing some runtime
> piece of commons logging or log4j.
>
> joe

----
Baiss Eric Magnusson