axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject RE: Advanced serialization of Collections and Maps
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:06:27 GMT
Anand,

Your concerns are right on target. That's the reason why we keep
recommending to people that they flatten all collections into simple types,
structures of simple types, and arrays.

If you want to pass these complex object graphs, then you should use
RPC/encoded and you should assume that only Java clients will be able to
interoperate with your service. But I really don't see the point. For
Java-to-Java communication using an RPC-style distributed object scenario,
you should use Java's native method invocation system: RMI.

Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: Anand Natrajan [mailto:an4m@cs.virginia.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 1:00 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: RE: Advanced serialization of Collections and Maps

Marc and Brian,

Forgive me if this is a naive question, but won't your actions below make it
hard to write non-Java clients targetting your web services? It may be hard
for Perl and VB clients to duplicate the complex data structures you're
planning, even if you manage to make Java clients work. Moreover, if you
write custom deserialisers, won't all your clients have to have them as
well? That means you can't just hand a client a WSDL - you have to give them
a deserialiser as well. On the other hand, if you can flatten your complex
types into arrays or simple types, you're guaranteed that non-Java clients
can deal with them.

I may be wrong about my concerns above, in which case I'd like to know how
you go about resolving them. I am interested in the solution because I may
face a similar decision in the near future. Thanks!

Anand