axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Melia" <meliam...@eircom.net>
Subject SSL - java.security.cert.CertificateException: Couldn't find trusted certificate
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 21:59:39 GMT
Hi all

**I need help**

I am a bit of a newbie to web services, so go easy on me. I am creating a
web services that uses SOAP messaging. I will be transferring confidential
info, and the employment of SSL technology is a requirement. I am having
awful trouble getting SSL to work. Every time I try to run the code I get
the following exception in the clientÂ…

AxisFault
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
java.security.cert.CertificateException: Couldn&apos;t find trusted c
ertificate
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateExce
ption: Couldn't find trusted certificate
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.BaseSSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SunJSSE_az.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SunJSSE_az.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SunJSSE_ax.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.j(DashoA6275)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(DashoA6275)
        at
org.apache.axis.components.net.JSSESocketFactory.create(JSSESocketFactory.ja
va:224)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.getSocket(HTTPSender.java:157)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:114)
        at
org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:
71)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:150)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:180)
        at test.SubmitPOService.execute(SubmitPOService.java:64)
        at test.SubmitPOService.main(SubmitPOService.java:79)
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Couldn't find trusted
certificate
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.a(DashoA6275)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(DashoA6
275)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.JsseX509TrustManager.checkServerTrusted(DashoA6
275)
        ... 18 more

I think that my client does not have a list of trusted certificates but I do
set this in the client using

System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore", "clientCacerts");
            System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword",
"******");

It should find clientCacerts because it is in the same directory as where I
call the client from and this clientCacerts definely has the server
certificate, I know this because the server cert that is printed out by the
server on startup is the same cert as in clientCvacerts. One point is that
if I change the password to be wrong I get the same error, even if I change
to the wrong file name for the cert store, which would lead me to believe it
is looking at some other cert store, does anyone have any idea what is going
on??? Could someone send me a client with SSL working(partiualry if using
the org.apache.axis.client.Call class). Does anyone have any good tutorials.
I really need help, anything you say will be of benefit!

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Thanks,
Mark