axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Project from hell?
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 19:53:11 GMT
Galbreath, Mark A wrote:

>EXACTOMUDO!  :-(

Then you've got two choices I'd see as reasonable. The first is to use
an actual web service, with the clients converted from applets to
standalone applications (perhaps deployed using JWS, a great solution).
You could use JMS or SMTP for the actual web services, to get the
queuing advantages you said were important. This should let you preserve
much of the UI and avoid a total rewrite.

The second alternative is to either modify your existing applet-based
code or design a pure HTML approach that talks to servlets, with the
servlets implementing queuing behind the scenes. I don't know how much
this would help with your basic problems, though.

Using an applet based frontend for web services is possible, but really
only makes sense if you've already got a web service that you just want
to access from the applet - I really wouldn't recommend this as an
up-front design.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski