axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Molettiere <pie...@axonstudios.net>
Subject Re: SOAP message size limit with Axis
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 22:38:11 GMT

We've been having possibly similar problems, and traced it into axis.
Apparently, axis does a lot of short-term object creation during
serialization, which can result in OutOfMemoryExceptions for reasonably
large data sets (30M), even with -Xmx set to values up to 1.5G. In a
profiler we can see that axis has a major sawtooth profile for its
memory usage while it serializes, which results in the
OutOfMemoryException.

We're planning to fix the issue by sending our data as an attachment,
avoiding the overhead of the axis serialization code.

I don't know whether message.getContentLength() actually tries to
deserialize the stream or not -- you'd think it would just read the
header. (I'm assuming you're using POST, as GET probably wouldn't give
you enough data to cause the OOM.)

--Peter