axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Bohnenberger" <kbohnenber...@mcdonaldbradley.com>
Subject RE: Announce: German book on Apache Axis released
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 14:18:35 GMT
> explained. A special chapter on message styles clarifies the
differences
> between RPC/Encoded, RPC/Literal, Doc/Literal and Wrapped.

I think the thing a new person gets confused about the most is all this
doc literal, rpc encoded, messages style, document style, wrapped style,
rpc style talk.  It is very important to make the distinction between
the style of the message on the wire (doc/literal or rpc/encoded are the
two most likely) and the style of the programming solution for how the
client creates the message and how the message is handled by the soap
engine (document, message, wrapped ...).  For a new person I think the
most important thing to understand is that there is an "on the wire
message style" as well as a "programming style". These are two different
things.  If your book explains this well and goes into detail about each
of the "on the wire" styles and each of the "programming" styles then it
should sell well and be very useful.

To me it almost seems that in our attempt to provide convenience for the
developers of Java based web services we have added so much complexity
and confusion that we defeated the purpose.

Axis.
> For example, there are detailed chapters on the internal architecture
> of Axis, on handlers, on providers, on the type mapping framework and
> also a very detailed chapter on web services security. Of course,
> basic topics like how to build and install Axis, how to use complex
> types and parameter modes, or how to realize session handling are also
> explained. A special chapter on message styles clarifies the
differences
> between RPC/Encoded, RPC/Literal, Doc/Literal and Wrapped.
>
> Besides, the book contains a lot of examples, like custom providers
> or a complete code example on how to add WS-Security functionality to
> Axis applications using handlers - though WSS4J is not yet used.
>
> Readers should have knowledge of web service basics like SOA, SOAP or
> WSDL since these were intentionally covered in a rather short overview
> chapter only. This book is not on web services, it is on Axis only
> (besides two chapters about SAAJ and JAX-RPC).
>
> The title of the book is "Java Web Services mit Apache Axis", the
> publisher is called "Software & Support Verlag", ISBN 3-935042-57-4.
> Amazon did not update its web site yet, but more information can be
> found at the publisher's site, where you can have a look at the book's
> table of contents:

http://entwickler.com/sus/sus_buch/psecom,id,61,nodeid,8,_language,de.ht
ml