axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Leone" <markleone...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: question on Axis Handlers
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 04:00:41 GMT
Ramesh,

The piece of info you may be lacking is that Axis IS a web app, and  is
therefor deployed in a servlet container. It has its own web.xml file that
defines how it is deployed. The server-config.wsdd is a deployment
descriptor that is used to configure Axis with respect to the web services
it will provide. Individual services are deployed to Axis by running
org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient with a deploy.wsdd file as an argument.
The info in this file is then added to the server-config.wsdd file as a set
of service-specific descriptors. (Axis is also a SOAP processor for the
client side, in which case the client-config.wsdd defines how it is
configured.)

If you want to put handlers in front of your web service, you will need to
deploy your web service in Axis, which itself can be deployed in a servlet
container, and then set up your deploy.wsdd and/or your server-config.wsdd
such that the required handlers intercept the SOAP messages sent to your web
service. An example of the wsdd to do this was given in a previous response
to your original message.

There are many documents provided with the Axis distribution that explain
this well. Take a look at the documentation index page and read the users
guide as a starting point, as well as the architecture guide. You may also
want to look at the links for further reading that are provided on the
documentation index page. There are some good Axis overviews and tutorials
that explain the architecture well and show usage scenarios and examples.

Hope that helps.