axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Wulff <oliver.wu...@zurich.ch>
Subject Antwort: Architecture for integration System
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:37:41 GMT

Hi Thomas

We have the goal to provide interfaces which offers business operations
like findCustomer, updateCustomer, getContract, .... These operations are
grouped in interfaces which has a name (and namespace) related to a
business component (partner service, ...). Right now, I'm not talking of
any technology. This is called the Service oriented architecture (cp. to
Gartner whitepapers - unfortunately  it took a long time till Gartner said
what we were following since years).

Don't use the same methods and parameters as the backend-system. Mostly,
the components are heavily coupled in the backend-system (mainframe).
Define the interface on a business level (logical) and not on a technology
level.

Further, a web service is stateless. Therefore, a login and logoff method
doesn't make sense because the service becomes stateful and the interface
becomes technical because the login/logoff has nothing to do with the
business functionality. Use an authentication mechanism like http basic
authentiction, soap header with username/password or the Web Service
Security standard from oasis (prefered).

We have the possibilty today that any service written in Corba can be
accessed also through SOAP, Websphere MQ, ... The service consumer has
nothing to do to achieve this. The service consumer and the service
provider can choose the technology they know. There is no big effort to
provide a service across different technologies because the type system of
each technology can be mapped dynamically. But again, this can only be
achieved if you have clean services (language and runtime independent).

We are using the product Artix from IONA which helps to integrate different
plattforms/technologies transparently (Mainframe, J2EE, Corba, .NET,
Websphere MQ).
http://www.iona.com/products/artix/welcome.htm

Regards
Oliver

Oliver Wulff
Zürich Versicherungs-Gesellschaft
IA4, CoC Middleware
Postfach, 8085 Zürich
Telefon: +41- 1 628 58 07
Fax: +41 - 1 623 58 07
E-Mail: mailto:oliver.wulff@zurich.ch

                      "Dorner, Thomas"

                      <Thomas.Dorner@t-s        An:       "'axis-user@ws.apache.org'" <axis-user@ws.apache.org>

                      ystems.com>               Kopie:

                                                Thema:    Architecture for integration System

                      25.03.2004 13:39

                      Bitte antworten an

                      axis-user

Hi all again, (and thank you Chris for your help last night!!! :) )

We make a design for an integration system.
So we have the following Situation:

On the left side of the architecture (picture) are several WebClients.
Each Client will communicate with several Backend-Systems on the right side
of the architecture. In the middle of this architecture is our SOAP and
J2EE
based integration application, which has different connectors to the
Backend-System. Our integration system should offer Web-Service(s) for the
Clients.

1. The first question is, should the integration system offer one Web
Service for every backend system?

2. The second question is, should every Web Service provide the same
methods like the backend systems offers, with all required parameters?

or should we try to do something generically, e.g. only 3 methods in
every Web Service (login, invoke, logout).

/*
Invoke is a generic method for dynamical invocation to different backend
system functions. The Client sends all required data, like chosen backend
system, function and additional metadata, as parameters (in a Vector for
example).
The integration application is responsible for function and data mapping
*/

--> we prefer the second solution, cause it is dynamic - so there will be
only a config file that has to be changed, by modifications on the backend
system side (new method or new paramter). Otherwise we have to rebuild and
distribute all the components: Web Service, Skeletons, stubs, client and
also the integration system itself.

Have someone a idea how to handle such an architecture?
Which is the right solution?
What kind of problem or pros and contras will arise form the
several solutions???

Thanks for attention.
 Thomas

 Diese Nachricht (wie auch allfällige Anhänge dazu) beinhaltet
 möglicherweise vertrauliche oder gesetzlich geschützte Daten oder
 Informationen. Zum Empfang derselben ist (sind) ausschliesslich die
 genannte(n) Person(en) bestimmt. Falls Sie diese Nachricht
 irrtümlicherweise erreicht hat, sind Sie höflich gebeten, diese unter
 Ausschluss jeder Reproduktion zu zerstören und die absendende Person
 umgehend zu benachrichtigen. Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe.