axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anne Thomas Manes <a...@manes.net>
Subject Re: Multiple server responses?
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:04:22 GMT
Web services certainly do support asynchronous communications. In the WSDL
definition, you define an asynchronous Web service by defining an operation
that has an <input> message but no <output> message.

The more challenging question is whether Axis supports asynchronous
communications. Async typically requires some type of callback mechanism.
Some SOAP implementations (BEA and Systinet) provide automatic support for
asynch. (the runtime automatically manages callbacks for you)

The JAX-RPC stub and proxy interfaces only support synchronous,
request/response interactions, but the DII interface is supposed to support
asynchronous communication. You should also be able to use the low-level
API to send one-way messages.

Note that the client needs to also act as a service to receive a one-way
message.

Anne