axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: XmlBeans and Axis? [Re: Doc/Literal support in axis
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:00:45 GMT
Anderson Jonathan wrote:

>Jim Murphy wrote:
>

>>Why wouldn't a very thin Axis working with several Java
>>binding/marshaling layers be a compelling approach?
>>

>Problem is, I have yet to see a SOAP stack that works this way.  "Consuming
>one stream and producing another" implies that each intermediary node would
>potentially have to go from XML->Java->XML before the call got passed to
>another the next intermediary node.  This would certainly allow each node to
>use it's own data binding schema - but think of the serialization
>performance hits!

That's essentially what Axis is already doing at different points. AFAIK
it's also the only way for handlers to modify *anything* about the
message - get the DOM, tweak it, write it out as text, and force Axis to
parse the text to replace the current document. Uglier than sin...
(actually, I've known some pretty good looking sins, but that's another
story).

Unfortunately, as Alek said, the design of the WS-Security stuff (and
the underlying XML-Encryption & XML-Security) may force this type of
processing approach for people using these features. Signing an entire
message, for instance, requires converting the whole thing to canonical
text form, running a digit signature algorithm on the text, and then
plugging the signature back into the document. I think the engine Alek
has discussed offers a lot of potential for handling such Rube
Goldbergish standards. The main point is to make the stored parse event
stream (or Infoset, or whatever) as efficient as possible to minimize
the overhead, and hopefully design it so that users who avoid using the
write-it-out-on-the-blackboard-and-take-a-polaroid-to-sign-and-send-to-me-type
standards don't suffer from the performance hits.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services
Training and Development Support