axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject processing layers ... Re: XmlBeans and Axis? [Re: Doc/Literal support in axis
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:46:08 GMT
Anderson Jonathan wrote:

>The only problem with decoupling the SOAP processing layer from the Java
>data binding layer is the implications such an approach has on "intermediary
>node" processing.  Almost every SOAP stack I've seen implements "SOAP
>intermediary nodes" as some sort of interceptor (Axis handlers, JAX-RPC
>handlers, .Net WSE filters, Glue filters).

hi Jon,

i agree. and that is the reason why one need to be careful about choice
of intermediary representation of messages passed in pipeline.

>The problems is that intermediary nodes can change the content of the SOAP
>envelope, plain and simple.  This really complicates that SOAP XML data
>binding issue.  Intermediary node implementations need access to the SOAP
>header information at the very least...  any type of security processing
>(Web Services Security XML Signatures or XML Encryption, for example)
>requires access to the entire envelope, typically as a DOM.

this all is fine and can be made to work with flexible use of XML
Infoset (based on my experience) until you get to the last part: the
requirement of DOM - DOM3 may finally provide mechanisms for
customizations so that may be how this will be done in future (still
making DOM even more complicated ...)

>Case in point: the WSS4J Axis handlers HAVE to marshall/unmarshall to DOM
>Level 2, given that the WSS4J XML-Security toolkit of choice (Apache
>XML-Security) operates on DOM Document instances.  This flies in the face of
>Axis' SAX based data binding approach.

why, o why, there is no SOAP:Footer to allow signatures be computed in
streaming fashion?

>Seems to me that a) intermediary nodes are very significant when you're
>dealing with the SOAP processing model and b) they could potentially have
>their own unique data binding requirements in addition to the data binding
>approach the actual service implementation uses.

yes. that is why you want to pass around XML Infoset based documents
representing SOAP messages (DOM or something more lightweight). it seems
that streaming is lost cause and trying to make SOAP/XML streaming was
not considered important enough to guarantee any support in all WS*
standards. i can say this based on my lost battle to maintain streaming
in XSOAP (or how i started to love document/literal approach ...) i gave
up on streaming and by making everything document based implementing all
kind of WS-* became much easier.

still i think about possibility of doing a lazy XML infoset tree that
would allow to bypass tree creation and access XML stream for not yet
parsed parts of XML stream (XmlPullNode is proof of concept of such
approach in XPP2).

>I'm very anxious to see how the JAX-RPC 2.0 JAXB 2.0 marriage handles this
>problem.

we will see :) however based on decisions such as to make SAAJ require
DOM i would not put my hopes too high ...

anyway i do not think that it matters that much. we should not forget
that XML and SOAP is about what goes on the wire and how this gets
produced is of secondary importance IMHO ...

best,

alek