axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Peter Mount <pe...@retep.org.uk>
Subject Re: How to send custom exception through SOAP message ?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:10:54 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, jerome moliere wrote:

> Hi damien,
> I guess that your custom exceptions may be child from remote exceptions
> because they must serialized....
> However I cannot encourage you to use such practices because you must not
> forget that SOAP messages could be used in environements where the
> exception concept doesn't exist....It's one from the design usage I
> suggest whend ealing with SOAP..Like avoid using your own serializers
> because they could be useless when used with a non Java target language...

I agree with you. Unless you can guarantee that the client is going to be
java & axis based, you shouldn't use your own serializer.

I have had to do this once for a client, but in that case the design
specification was that the client to the service was to be their own
application, and the serializer was needed for performance reasons (cut
the runtime down by 70%).

However, all the other services I've written use the default serializers
because they are public, and the client app could be any target language.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
peter@retep.org.uk