axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject Immutable Objects?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:59:47 GMT
This is not an Axis-specific question, but I hope others on the list may have encountered similar
issues.

I have a number of value objects defined in the <types> section of my WSDL. Generally
these have been designed to be immutable - i.e. all their properties are set in the constructor
and the original Java code only provides getXXX methods, there are no setXXX methods. Of course
WSDL2Java (and I guess, most other WSDL compilers) generates code for writable properties
from my WSDL.

It seems surprising to me that there is no way to mark these elements as 'read only' in some
sense - for example CORBA IDL allows you to define readonly attributes in a struct. Am I missing
something or is it just that I have discovered what the 'Simple' in SOAP means?

Thanks
Keith