axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Non-Bean Object Serialization
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:08:50 GMT
<anip> So for non-bean
serialization/deserialization I can't use Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java?
</snip>

That's my experience - Java2WSDL would tend to generate a file without most of the <types>
section, which was a pain, but work-around-able. In my case these objects tended to be read-only,
without a default constructor, and with getX methods but no corresponding setX methods.

I just added the type definitions by hand. It seems that, if your value objects are not beans,
you know the interface better than Axis (which, to be fair, makes some sense).

Writing your own serializers and deserializers is not too difficult, particularly if you're
familiar with the SAX event model. Downloading the Axis source and JavaDoc will give you the
best pointers (e.g. look at SimpleSerializer/Deserializer and BeanSerializer/Deserializer).
If you have any arrays in your method declarations, the ArraySerializer/Deserializer will
do the work for you, provided you can supply an appropriate serializer/deserializer for the
elements of that array. Just remember to declare all of these in server-config.wsdd/client-config.wsdd.

Hope this helps
Keith